Friday, February 24, 2012

Aluminum Can Windmill


Aluminum Can Windmill
This project came to me while I was playing games with my brother. I cut up a coke can and drilled a screw into the bottom and found it spun rather well. I thought this would be a perfect project for this project. 


Materials - For this project, you will need: 1 aluminum can (soda or other beverage like Monster), scissors, (optional: a small generator).

Step 1 - empty and clean your aluminum bottle thoroughly so there isn’t any leftover soda.

Step 2 - cut the top off. By top, I mean the end of the sloped part near the top of the can. It should be just above the logo on most cans but it varies. 
Step 3 - Cut from the new top down leaving approximately an inch as a base. Continue this until you have cut four lines dividing the can into five equal strips. 
Step 4 - Bend the five parts down until they reach a 90 degree angle with the rest of the can
Step 5 - Twist the parts so they form more of a wing shape instead of just flat panels. This will help with catching wind and directing the blades.




Step 6 - If you have knowledge on building a generator and connecting this to a power source, you could be able to power a light or something of the sort. However, I have neither the tools, nor the knowledge required for such an idea. If you are like me, you can nail the bottom of your windmill to a plank of wood or a stick and voila! You have a cute windmill.


No comments:

Post a Comment